Sunday, July 27, 2008

Hey Mr. DJ.....







Ever since I was a little kid I've always wanted to be a DJ. I remember standing behind the DJ booth at my aunt and uncle's wedding watching the DJ spin the latest jams. I liked how he had control of the party. Every time he put on a new record, the crowd danced harder and had more fun. Every 5 minutes someone would come up to the DJ and give him props because he had the party jumping.



Since then, I've always wanted to be a DJ but I never did it. Well last week I was leaving the gym and the Director told me about the member cookout they were having. Then she asked me if I knew of a DJ that she could hire and she would pay them $300. Well, I aint no damn dummy so I told her I could do it. I never once told her that I had no equipment or experience but for a chance to make $300 in an afternoon, I figured "I got 2 degrees, this can't be that hard".



So the first thing I did was hit up Google to find out where I could rent some speakers and a mixer. Then I hit the hot 99 radio website to find their play list. The gym I go to is mad family friendly (YMCA) so I knew songs like "My Neck, My Back", "Put It In Your Mouth", and "P***Y Poppin" were off limits. I ended up downloading (for free of course) Miley Cyrus aka Hanna Montana, Chris Brown, Rihanna, Jonas Brothers, and the soundtrack for High School Musical.




So Friday, armed with my laptop, 2 rented JBL speakers, a mixer, and 2 virtual turntables (thanks to a pirated copy of Virtual DJ software) I headed to the venue. As I unpack the speakers, open the mixer, and start to set up, I realized I aint know what the hell I was doing. After a call back to the spot where I rented the speakers, I realized that I had the speakers plugged into the wrong channel. So I got that all set up and started cranking the tunes.



Overall it went well. Only one complaint, and that was from some lady who called me rude. I guess she thought I was playing music for no good reason, and didn't realize they were throwing the member cookout. I guess the big ass grill with hot dogs and hamburgers wasn't enough of a clue. Anyway, people danced to my mix of Jackson 5 hits, and I got compliments for playing a wide variety of music. I even got 2 more gigs lined up, and a few more "Do you have a card" inquires. So if anyone needs a DJ, hit me up mistahsmif@hotmail.com. I'll do weddings, quinceaneras, Bar Mitzvah's, Sweet 16's or anything else you can think of.

1 comment:

G. Mo said...

Shoulda called me maaaaaaaaan... we coulda did the gig and had em jammin and you wouldn't have needed to rent nothin'!!!

LOL @ the wrong channel. Yeah bruh, that's important.