Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Hate the Club, Love The Club






I remember when I was still living in Hampton Virginia and my homeboys were living here in the DC metro area they would always tell me about the nightclub Dream (now called Love). I remember them telling me about how big it was, all of the concerts that they would have there, and how there were so many bad chicks in there. So naturally I wanted to check it out. I mean, it was better than the hotest nightclub in Hampton Roads (The Alley) where you aren't even allowed to bring your cell phone inside (to this day, I have no idea why).






So one Thursday I came to DC for a Friday job fair to see if I could get a job in DC. Well, that Friday I got a job offer so I called my homeboy who I was staying with and told him that we were going to celebrate my job offer at Dream. That night I got dressed in a pair of my nicest slacks, dress shirt, and shoes to go experience the phenomenon called Dream. When I walked in, it was more than what I expected. 4 floors of the finest women DC had to offer. I knew right then that this was going to be one of my favorite spots.





As the years passed, I visited Dream countless times, then they changed the name to Love. When it was Dream, I never had a bad experience. But as soon as they changed the name to Love it all went down hill. Now not every night was a bad night, but they definitely outweigh the good nights I had in there. Let's look at some of my not so good nights in there.






  • Paid $60 for a VIP ticket to see Nas in concert. Paid another $20 to park and when I walked to the 2nd floor, I see Nas is already on stage performing Made You Look. I look at my watch and it's 11:30 so I'm thinking that he just got on stage. WRONG! After he finished performing Made You Look he says "That's my time DC, I love yall" and walked off the stage. I was pissed off. I later found out that the concert started at 10:30.






  • About 4 months later Nas returned to Love. This time I was determined not to miss his performance so I got to the club at 9:30. Bad idea. He didn't perform until 12:45 and left the stage at around 2. Four and a half hours in the club was way too much for me. The performance was great and he even brought Jadakiss on stage to perform, but damn I waited 3 hours to see the performance.






  • Went to love one extra frosty winter Friday night with one of my homeboys. Since I didn't want to pay to park, I decided to park on West Virginia Ave. Bad idea. As I approached my car I saw my Armor All on the floor and wondered why my homeboy just threw my Armor All on the floor. Then I realized that the entire contents of my glove compartment were scattered all over the car. Then I realized that my window was busted. As I looked to see what was taken from the car I realize that they left my D&G shades, my car stereo, and my bottle of liquor that I was drinking before I went into the club. I had to drive all the way back to Maryland with no window in the middle of January. To make it worse I realized that the thief only took a sweat suit which was my dad's Christmas present which I hadn't given to him. $165 to replace the window and all they stole was a sweat suit.






  • Went to Love with my homeboy to see Jay Z perform. Paid $20 to get in split the $20 parking charge and went inside. As we were waiting for Jay to take the stage, I noticed that people were on the stage and there was no DJ set up on stage. I started to get a bad feeling. At about 1:30 Jay Z hits the stage. Not to perform, but to stand on stage drinking Ace of Spades and talking to his homies. I really felt bad for the fools who bought VIP tickets for $100.









  • Tried to go to Love during the AKA national convention week. Went to the ATM machine and took out $60. I figured that if it was a good enough party, I would start a tab for drinks. As I'm flying down New York Ave trying to get to the club, I ended up running a red light and saw the cameras flashing. So, by the time I get to the parking lot I'm already pissed off. After I paid my $20 to park, I get to the line and check my pockets and find that I only have $20 left. I realized that I must have dropped a $20 and if they were charging more than $20 at the door I'd be looking like a jackass. So I walked back to my car and just went home. I waisted $40 and didn't even get in the club. Well somebody got 2 or 3 free drinks on me.






  • Last time I went to Love, New York Ave was so packed and parking was so jacked up that we ended up driving all the back towards the Convention Center and taking a cab. After we finally got into the club I ended up going in on a bottle of Kettle One vodka. The bottle was $250. I thought to myself "How much does Love pay for this bottle"? Maybe $15-$20 wholesale. But we get charged over 10 times what they pay. Then to top it off, it took about an hour to get a cab back to the car. DC is just like New York when it comes to a black man getting a cab. Cabs would bypass us and pick up chicks right in front of us. When we did get a cab, I was ready to cuss dude out until I realized he was the only cabbie cool enough to pick up a group of black men.




This weekend it's Howard's homecoming, so P-Diddy will be hosting the party at Love on Friday. Tickets are already going for $40 and trust me it will be so crowded in there that you will not be able to move. No thanks. I'm done with Love the Club. The End!!!!!!

No comments: